My mom always tried to reinvent some of our more mundane meals into exciting midweek dinner adventures. This was one of those meals that my family regularly ate. The mountain was the mashed potatoes on top of the browned burger ground with the cheese as snow on the mountain. As the last recipe in the vegetarian comfort foods series, I figured that this one better be included. I still enjoy this meal from time to time, whether it’s cheesy mashed potatoes on top of beef patties or veggie burgers.
Mashed Potato Mountains
- 4 regular size potatoes
- ½ cup milk (add more if additional creaminess is desired)
- ½ teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 teaspoon each: pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder
- 4 veggie burger patties
- ½ cup shredded cheese or 4 cheese slices
1. Make the mashed potatoes: Peel the potatoes and cut into 1-inch chunks. Place the potatoes in a medium pot and cover with water. Add a couple of dashes of salt to the water to help bring out the flavor of the potatoes. Bring the water to a boil and reduce the heat to medium, lowering the temperature again and removing the lid, if necessary, to prevent the water from boiling over the edge. Cook for 15 minutes or until a fork easily goes through the potato chunks. (Begin cooking the carrots at this point, if you’re planning on serving them with the meal.) Drain the potatoes and add in the milk, poultry seasoning, salt, pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder. Mash the potatoes until the ingredients are combined and a smooth enough texture has been achieved. Place the lid back on the pot to keep them warm.
2. Heat the veggie burgers: Cook the veggie burgers in the microwave or a skillet according to the package, and place the burgers on serving plates.
2. Assemble the “mountains”: Top each veggie burger with a scoop of mashed potatoes and a sprinkling of cheese. The finished mountains may be microwaved for a few second to melt the cheese faster. Serve with steamed vegetables on the side.
- 2 pounds carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Dashes of salt, pepper, poultry seasoning, and garlic powder
1. Prep and simmer the carrots: Thinly slice the carrots. Season with dashes of salt, pepper, poultry seasoning, garlic powder, and butter. Add about 4 tablespoons of water to cover the bottom of the pan. Bring the water to a boil, and then cook over medium low heat for about 10 minutes.
2. Sweeter option: If youʼd rather have sweet carrots, add a teaspoon or two of brown sugar and skip the dash of poultry seasoning.